History and Architecture

Stained glass Windows

 

The original glass installed into the church in 1875 was cathedral glass of light-green tint. The colourful stained glass memorial windows were gifts that were added later.

The first memorial window to be installed was the beautiful five-light window at the east end of the chancel, depicting 'The Ascension'. It was installed in 1909 in memory of the Rev. Henry Powell Owen Smith, who was vicar from 1884 to 1909, a gift from his parishioners and friends .

 

Ascension window Angels holding Jesus' crown

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Above is a zoomed in view of the angels preparing to crown Jesus King of Kings.

A zoomed in sharper, clearer views of the central panels can be obtained by clicking the photograph of the Ascension on the left.

 

There are three lancet windows at the west end of the nave. They depict biblical warriors and were erected as memorials to men killed in action during the First World War.

 

St George Window.The central Lancet Window, shown on the right, is of 'St. George'. It was installed in memory of Lt. Charles Herbert Ball, who was killed in action in France on April 3rd, 1918, and was given by his family.

A plaque on the sill of the centre window on the west wall provides details about the 'St. George' window.

Also on the west wall is a lozenge-shaped marble tablet in memory of John Blinkhorn, Churchwarden 1866-1895, who died in 1904.

 

St. Michael Window         St. Joshua Window.   

 

 The two stained glass windows depicting ' St. Michael ' and 'Joshua', above left, plus the rose window, below right, were given to the church by the parishioners in 1920, as a war memorial to those of the parish killed during the First World War.     

 The Sheldon Window.     The Rose window.

The ship's wheel in the right hand corner.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

The most colourful and modern stained glass windows is in the north-west corner of the nave. It was installed in July, 1968 by Albert Jacob Sheldon, in memory of his parents, Jacob and Catherine, and his sisters and brothers.

This window is the work of Harry J. Stammers of Bradwell House, Bucks., and can be identified by Harry Stammer's trademark symbol of a ship's wheel. This window was one of his last designs.

 

 

 

 

Click on the next page button to view information about the memorials, scrolls, tablets and plaques that can be found on various walls of the church.

Next Page

 

Back to Top